Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Official mGBA Ports
As far as I've been able to see, there doesn't seem to be any random crashes anymore on the latest nightly (15/09/05). The only time the emulator did crash was not in-game, but rather when attempting to load a ROM, in my case Fire Emblem. Although, from what I've been reading in this thread, that is to be somewhat expected when loading multiple ROMs in a single session, as I was able to load that game fine after restarting my 3DS.

Aside from that, audio in Golden Sun seems to be a bit more stable, yet slower. Pretty much, as slow as the game is currently running. I did notice, however, that when going into main plaza where a bunch of sprites are, the game got even slower. Still playable, but noticeably slow. After the time skip where there is no rain anymore, the game seems to have started playing much better. Battles were still slow, but I was able to make uninterrupted progress for about 30 minutes before I stopped and moved on to something else.

Minish Cap runs at a steady, smooth framerate. Audio crackles here and there, but it becomes very noticeable and persistent once you reach the festival. However, if you pause the game and resume after a few seconds, the crackling is reduced back to normal. I didn't play for long, but I'm gonna start over and check out the game's general performance up to the first temple, since I do remember there was a barrel sequence there that spins around that I want to test for speed.
On a side note, I'm not sure if this was present on original hardware, but I did notice that at the beginning of the game, when everything is focused on Zelda, everything displayed on screen has this weird vibrating effect to it, which is no longer there once you get control of Link. Just thought it was worth a mention.

Fire Emblem ran surprisingly smooth. I would've imagined the animations stuttering or frame skipping, but they actually ran exactly as they did on original hardware.

Aside from that, I don't have much to report. I finally found my HDD with my ROMs, but I only have a limited time available to transfer the ROMs via FTP to my N3DS and it's dreadfully slow (since I don't feel like disassembling the damn thing to fetch my microSD card). I'll try to add a few games everyday to continue testing. Regardless, keep up the good work, man. Really appreciate it.

Crashes are far rarer now, though I did encounter one while playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, just during regular gameplay.

Aside from that though, I found that Wario Land 4 runs like a dream with only minor slowdowns occasionally. The Metroid games still suffer, not being quite at full speed yet. Minish Cap approaches playability, and Mother 3 still has slow battles, enough to make the rhythmic timed hits near impossible. All in all it's easily the best GBA emulator for 3DS so far, and it's so nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Any possibility on rebinding the buttons in the near future?

Button rebinding will be coming, I'm just not sure when. There's a lot left to do, so things are just getting tossed in in whichever order makes most sense to implement things.

(09-06-2015, 09:04 AM)endrift Wrote: Button rebinding will be coming, I'm just not sure when. There's a lot left to do, so things are just getting tossed in in whichever order makes most sense to implement things.

Awesome, keep up the great work! This project has gone from "cool, this might be good someday" to "Oh god it's actually happening" super quickly

Still the occasional crash, happened once early into loading up Minish Cap. Seems games only slow down when they utilize whatever the GBA's equivalent of Mode 7 is, that graphical effect that makes things pop more and seem so slightly 3D.

(09-06-2015, 09:04 AM)endrift Wrote: Button rebinding will be coming, I'm just not sure when. There's a lot left to do, so things are just getting tossed in in whichever order makes most sense to implement things.

Do you expect fps improvements in a near future? good job with the development though.

I was just about to come in here and say that I haven't had it crash yet on the recent nightlies (as of a few days ago). Excellent work!

Ive been using your port for 3ds homebrew and I'm loving it. I very much regretted getting rid of my gba flascart along with my GBA handheld. One question though when do you plan to implement RTC in the 3ds port. would love to access some time related events in the fire red hacks I'm playing on the go.
Thanks for the awesome program.

It should already be supported. If it's not, that's likely a bug.

If its already implemented its definitely bugged, as the rom hack Pokémon liquid crystal has a way of checking if its enabled when you first start the game. Its not passing that check. so I have to select the option to play without it.(Just incase you don't understand,the check is scripted into the hack as the event when professor oak asks for the time just like pokemon crystal for gbc. If real time clock is not enabled professor oak says: "I can't check the time. It's too dark!!" Then he proceeds to ask if you want to play without it or change settings restart the emulator with rtc enabled.)