Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Official mGBA Ports
Well the 3DS would give it a completely-portable feel, so there's that.

So many of the GBA games I love are designed with the portability in mind, a lot of them aren't meant to be "sit down and boot up your console to play this" kinds of games. I really feel the 3DS port makes the most sense to give priority to.

(09-03-2015, 04:44 AM)Patch Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 02:52 AM)powermad80 Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 01:38 AM)Patch Wrote: Hi endrift, any chance you would consider a WiiU port?
Thank you.

How would that work, I don't think there's even homebrew on the Wii U yet.

A Wii U port would also be pointless if the Wii port turns out good too, since you can do Wii homebrew on the Wii U's Wii mode.

I'd personally think the 3DS port deserves the most attention.
The WiiU is hacked enough to play Emulators. Plus the WiiU controller would give it a semi-portable feel Smile

Well, it's a mixed bag, yes, people have been "hacking" on the Wii U, but all they've done is replace files over a network app called Caffiine. As far as emulators, there is not a single emulator for the Wii U itself, excluding the Virtual Console. I've been following the Wii u hacking scene for some time, ever since day one and I assure you, there's no emulator on Wii U. The Wii Mode/vWii yes, Wii U, no. People can probably port them over, but there's no way to execute them without an SDK or environment to actually run homebrew. 

I registerd to say great job! mgba actually runs Kill switch properly unlike most gba emulators.. though its still choppy on 3ds (due to ironhax exploit) Please consider a port for the GCW ZERO and PSP that would be awsome.

(09-03-2015, 01:38 AM)Patch Wrote: Hi endrift, any chance you would consider a WiiU port?
Thank you.
Due to the presence of GBA games on the Wii U VC, I will not be making a Wii U port.

(09-03-2015, 07:27 AM)nielo Wrote: I registerd to say great job! mgba actually runs Kill switch properly unlike most gba emulators.. though its still choppy on 3ds (due to ironhax exploit) Please consider a port for the GCW ZERO and PSP that would be awsome.

GCW-Zero was considered, but initial tests show that it might not reach full speeds without a lot of work (mGBA is already very heavily optimized). I worked on PSP a bit, but that port stalled when it was just too slow.

I have yet to gain access to my GBA ROM collection, so my tests have continued to be exclusively with Golden Sun 1 and 2. At least, until further notice. Sorry.

Anyways, in today's nightly (15/09/03), audio seems to have improved drastically. It no longer stutters as much as it once did. And it's one hell of an improvement over yesterday's nightly, where there was a really weird oscillating effect going on.

However, at the expense of a better sound quality, we have a more noticeable frame rate issue, where it's a tad slower now. Between GS 1 and 2, the latter seems to be even slower.

Not to be a nag, but would it be possible to get an FPS display at the very least? If it's not possible, I understand. I just thought it'd be a nice tool so that we could provide some slightly more useful information. Maybe. I dunno.

Regardless, thank you so much for your hard work. I may not be able to provide any technical insight on the matter, but if there's any miscellaneous stuff you'd like help with, let me know. Or not.

Have a nice day.

(09-03-2015, 08:38 AM)endrift Wrote:
Thank you.
Due to the presence of GBA games on the Wii U VC, I will not be making a Wii U port.

Damn...really? Even though not every single GBA game is going to be released on the Virtual Console? I mean, the emulation would benefit from extra speed,I think....I at least can hope the sound issues can be improved a bit more on the Wii port, some games like Metro Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion still experience crackling, and Golden Sun speed/audio dips during battle attacks. Big Grin

Maybe I should make a new thread for the Wii port audio issues since, well, I can't feel I'm cluttering this thread with audio reports, heh.

Hi! I've been amazed for the past few days at how good the 3DS port is in comparison to the other GBA emulators for the console. It runs incredibly well, with audio and everything.
There are two things I'd like to request, if possible:

1. Draw the GBA screen on the top screen: It feels kinda uncomfortable and awkward to look down, when most games make you look at the top screen. Maybe have an option to switch between the 2, like on the DS?

2. Fullscreen: Pretty simple I guess. Expand the GBA screen to the borders of the 3DS's screen (preserving the aspect ratio).

Those will be coming, probably in the same nightly. I'm trying to work out the crash first, but not having much luck.

(09-03-2015, 11:38 PM)endrift Wrote: Those will be coming, probably in the same nightly. I'm trying to work out the crash first, but not having much luck.

Oh I see. I hope you manage to fix it; I would barely care about the other 2 if there were no crashes. Good luck!

I see that my questions have been ignored regarding the Wii standalone port's audio crackle. Apparently, the Libretro core on RetroArch Wii fares better, but 32 MB ROMs are broken, so, a new thread it is.

C'est la vie.