Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Official mGBA Ports
(08-27-2015, 06:18 PM)fox_whisper8 Wrote: Golden Sun 2 - Full speed as well in the tower and outside of the tower, didn't get into a battle yet, will test next time

Adding to his report: battle works great, but there is a noticeable slowdown during certain attack and spell animations. Otherwise, it's great. It's astonishingly better than VBAGX, and I'm very impressed. Most people shot down the possibility of the Wii ever being able to emulate a GBA for the simple fact that it wasn't powerful enough platform to do so. I'm glad to have lived to see the day where they were proved otherwise.

By the way, this is the first time I've been able to successfully test this emulator, since I'm restricted to a Windows XP 32-bit environment and mGBA doesn't seem to be compatible with it.

I look forward to the 3DS port. Thank you so much for your hard work, and have a nice day.

(08-28-2015, 02:03 PM)Magil Wrote: Most people shot down the possibility of the Wii ever being able to emulate a GBA for the simple fact that it wasn't powerful enough platform to do so.

What loony people said that? The PSP has a well-functioning GBA emulator, and I'm pretty sure the Wii is at least slightly more powerful than that.

(08-28-2015, 02:26 PM)powermad80 Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 02:03 PM)Magil Wrote: Most people shot down the possibility of the Wii ever being able to emulate a GBA for the simple fact that it wasn't powerful enough platform to do so.

What loony people said that? The PSP has a well-functioning GBA emulator, and I'm pretty sure the Wii is at least slightly more powerful than that.

I think it was their observations based off of VBAGX and how choppily it ran games, notably Mother 3 and other large ROMs that are 256 MBits in size.  This, however, proves that the Wii is more than capable. 

I see we have an alpha build for 3DS up now! So awesome to see it running, I wonder how long until be get some settings and audio support. Audio is the big one, hope we can get it soon!

Alright, I got my hands on 3DS Alpha 1. I'm currently testing this on a N3DS via Ironhax (if that is of any importance). My test results are as follows:

Golden Sun: Working at a slow, but still acceptable frame rate. Audio stutters a lot. Crashes if you repeatedly press Select. It also recognized a save file created by CitrAGB.
Golden Sun - The Lost Age: Same frame rate issue. Audio also stutters a lot. Unlike the first game, it did not recognize the save file created by CitrAGB. Crashed near the beginning of the animated intro sequence.

For testing purposes, I'd like to request a visible FPS counter if possible. I'll also look into adding more games to continue testing.

I tried out WarioWare, but that crashed during the first cutscene after entering your name.

I was just trying out the 3DS port...it's got a lot of potential (I'm on a New 3DS running Ironhax over here). It's working very well for an alpha overall. A bit unstable though...it seems to randomly crash after a while. Wasn't even touching the system at the time of the crashes, so I can't really give any info to help find out the cause really. I did have Metroid: Zero Mission crash once when I pressed 'A' a whole bunch, but I don't know if it was just randomly crashing or crashing because of that.

I'm pleased that it runs both Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (is incredibly slow on CitrAGB) and Riviera: The Promised Land (doesn't load at all on CitrAGB for some reason) fairly well.

The crashing has been a known problem since before I released the alpha, but I've been having a lot of trouble isolating the crash, as it seems to happen randomly. It doesn't reproduce in Citra, which I use sometimes to try to isolate other crashes, so it'll take some time to track down.

3ds port on O3DS have so much potential, games boot so fast and some games runs at half speed Big Grin

Is there a way to render the emulated game on the top screen? I've been trying out Mother 3, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, and Yoshi's Island, and all load - Yoshi's Island gives me a 'Your Save Data is corrupted' message though. However I get absolutely no sound on my 9.9. O3DS on neither of those games. Is this normal? I'm running Ironhax with the latest boot.3dsx provided by Smea, if that matters.