Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 player link, controllers cause slowdown?
Hi all,

I got a strange issue that I wonder if anyone can help me with or have encountered. Smile
So I got a autohotkey script I wrote to boot up 4 mgba (via new window instances) to be able to easily play Zelda etc. 4 players.
However I notice a weird problem.
If I run the script without controllers connected (all xbox controllers, 1 series x and 3 360 pads) everything runs at 60fps. Same result if I try 1 pad, 2 pads, 3 pads...
However if I have 4 pads connected, then it drops to about 39fps no matter what. It also happens if I only have 2 instances for example, still same, 39fps.
I can even see if it I got 4 instances running and I unplug and plug the pad in and out it slows down and then goes back to normal speed.

Anyone got any idea? is it some driver issue?

Cheers!

UDPATE:
And just after I posted this I had an idea to try and change the controllers I was using. So I have another spare 360 controller around and tried to swap it out and for some bizarre reason one of the 360 pads I was using would cause my games to run slower if it is connected alongside 3 other controllers... if it's on itself.. fine, with another pad fine etc.. just that if there are 3 other controllers. It breaks the universe! haha, ok... I don't know why, but this fixed it so will use this one 360 controller for just the console itself then since the pad does work fine on its own.
Just weird..

(05-29-2023, 06:34 PM)PolygonSlayer Wrote: Hi all,

I got a strange issue that I wonder if anyone can help me with or have encountered. Smile
So I got a autohotkey script I wrote to boot up 4 mgba (via new window instances) to be able to easily play Zelda etc. 4 players.
However I notice a weird problem.
If I run the script without controllers connected (all xbox controllers, 1 series x and 3 360 pads) everything runs at 60fps. Same result if I try 1 pad, 2 pads, 3 pads...
However if I have 4 pads connected, then it drops to about 39fps no matter what. It also happens if I only have 2 instances for example, still same, 39fps.
I can even see if it I got 4 instances running and I unplug and plug the pad in and out it slows down and then goes back to normal speed.

Anyone got any idea? is it some driver issue?

Cheers!
rooftop snipers
UDPATE:
And just after I posted this I had an idea to try and change the controllers I was using. So I have another spare 360 controller around and tried to swap it out and for some bizarre reason one of the 360 pads I was using would cause my games to run slower if it is connected alongside 3 other controllers... if it's on itself.. fine, with another pad fine etc.. just that if there are 3 other controllers. It breaks the universe! haha, ok... I don't know why, but this fixed it so will use this one 360 controller for just the console itself then since the pad does work fine on its own.
Just weird..

It’s possible that this is related to a driver issue or some other compatibility problem. My 360 controller caused my games to run slower when it was connected alongside three other controllers, but worked fine on its own or with another controller. It’s possible that there’s something about the specific controller you’re using that’s causing the issue. It's so difficult to understand.

I know there's been issues on Windows in general (in lots of games, in my experience) with wireless controllers randomly slowing games down if the battery is low or the signal is weak. I've not seen anything like that with wired controllers though.