Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[N3DS] Issues with sound quality (GBA)
Question 
Greetings!

After equipping my own New 3DS XL with the latest CFW and Luma3DS recently, I got in touch with mGBA and was, like many others before me, intrigued by the quality of this emulator!

While the video performance is nearly perfect on my device, there seem to be some issues with the quality of the sound output: I tried to play one of the Golden Sun games and immediately noticed a strange behaviour with certain, deep sound effects and music.
Since the Audio is flawless when trying out the game on Windows, I am trying to figure out if there is some way to improve the quality to the same standard on my device.

I made a recording of the current sound situation; if someone finds the time and the energy, I am happy for any advice or hint that anyone can give me here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u7khu1ru0npa8...c-Tga?dl=0

If neccessary and/or possible, I should also be able to adapt some internal parameters within the emulator's source code and create a new .3dsx binary for testing.

Many thanks in advance,
and so long,
Max

As far as I know the 3DS port of it isn't good in terms of musical output. While it does work it isn't perfect, though it could be fixed in the future. Perhaps try a nightly, though from what I can tell Nightlies break GB compatibility but you have things like GameYob for that.

Thanks for the reply!

I will try out the latest nightly and also some other GBA titles, to see if the issue can be narrowed down to certain games and/or specific audio facettes.

If I plan on looking in the source code for a way of improving the audio quality, are there any hints where to look first? Or is the cause more likely to be found within the audio libraries of the 3DS?

So long,
Max

The Emulator is one step from being great if it wasn't for the Audio issue. The scratchy noise comes when entering and exiting the mGBA Menu. The quality gets better when new Audio is loaded in-game as the scratchy noise is getting reduced. The best solution so far is to avoid going into the mGBA Menu. I do hope the Audio issue will be fixed in the future as its the only thing that keeps this Emulator from being enjoyable.