Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32-bit version Save Files invisible?
Question 
Long story short, I've been using the 32bit version of mGBA for a while, and am in the process of being convinced to switch to the 64bit version, as I do have a 64bit system... and it turns out, one of the games I'm using it for has weird bugs when played with a 32bit emulator, and I don't mean just mGBA.

However, one detail about the 32bit version has come to my attention that has me utterly confused, baffled, and a little annoyed.

Where are the .sav files? They're not where they should be. Are they hidden? the 32bit emulator can find and use them to load my saves no problem, but the file simply isn't there. Heck, even other 32bit emulators can find and use the save file. But there's no save file. Which means there's no save file for a 64bit emulator to read and use. The 64bit emulator creates a .sav file that is visible and right there where it should be. It didn't overwrite whatever arcane science the 32bit emulator is using, as switching between 32 and 64bit emulators, the 32bit emulator finds the old save file just fine, but the 64bit version only uses the visible one.

WHAT SORCERY IS AT PLAY HERE? Is it remotely possible to get the 64bit version to load the 32bit version's save file?

Or are these secrets not meant for mortal minds like mine?

mGBA isn't supposed to do anything special. They shouldn't be hidden or anything. It's possible that there are two different configs between them which have different paths for where the saves are put--check Paths in settings.

(10-16-2023, 10:16 PM)endrift Wrote: mGBA isn't supposed to do anything special. They shouldn't be hidden or anything. It's possible that there are two different configs between them which have different paths for where the saves are put--check Paths in settings.

Paths in Settings for both simply has "Same directory as the Rom" for saves.

And they wind up...having different sets of saves? Are you sure you're loading the same ROM both times?

Same ROM, both versions using the same path for saves, each automatically loads a different save file. Only one visible .sav file, which is the one created by the new 64bit Emulator. Before picking that up, there straight up was no .sav file, unless it's very, very well-hidden.

Worth noting: Loaded up the same rom with a completely different emulator, 32bit version of BGB. It found the 32bit version's invisible save file and loaded it. Tried the 64bit version of BGB. Could not find it, and is in fact the emulator that created the .sav file being found and loaded by 64bit mGBA.

Something sounds...very strange on your computer if BGB is also having path issues too. I don't think that's an mGBA issue at that point.

to clarify, BGB was loading the rom from the same location as mGBA was. The big thing that's confusing me is that the 32bit emulator somehow isn't generating .sav files, and yet is able to read these non-existent .sav files to maintain the save file.

I wonder if Windows is pulling some containerization nonsense behind your back. What path are the ROMs located at?

The roms are located in a "Roms" folder in the mGBA install folder.

(as an aside, I also had to move the mGBA install folder from Program Files into Documents because the 64bit version of the emulator wasn't able to save changes to the settings on closing the game for some reason; moving it to Documents fixed this.)

yeah, uh, that was your first problem. Don't put the ROMs under program files, as those folders need admin to write into (those annoying UAC prompts), and mGBA doesn't want to deal with that. The 32-bit version is probably shadowing Program Files somewhere, but that's Windows dark magic, not mGBA dark magic.