Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Force GBC/SGB mode in GB games?
(10-12-2017, 11:29 AM)lordelan Wrote: @Dante164: Additionally I tried my luck with the same rom you used and I don't have those glitches in Kirby's sprite. Dunno whether this might have been fixed as my dev build is from today.

[Image: orRtH6C.png]

The issue Dante164 is referring is to is related to booting Kirby's Dreamland through the GBC bios.
KDL was one of those games that had a special color palette when played in a GBC as seen in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqv8TJr3Rzk

However, I haven't been able to replicate his issues since I cannot seem to boot KDL as if it were played in a GBC xD

All you have to do is boot it as a GBC game (it's in settings) while using the GBC bootrom.

That said I have been working on integrating those palettes into mGBA so you don't need the bootrom.

(10-12-2017, 11:29 AM)lordelan Wrote: So a few questions @endrift:
  1. Can you apply a Super Gameboy border (at least as an option) to all games including those without SGB support, showing the simple SGB general border as you can see it here?
  2. For games supporting both, GBC and SGB (like Dragon Quest Monsters), would it be possible to show it's specific SGB border?

3. To be honest I don't know whether games that support both have the same color palette on both (GBC and SGB) or which is superior, but if the GBC is superior could you enable it while having the SGB border around it at the same time?
  4. Last but most important question, not only to me but ShadowOne333 as well: Can this be done to the Libretro core of mGBA using RetroArch as well?
    If so, how and when? Smile
Thanks for all your great work man!

1. That's not a planned feature, sorry. Although I may do overlays at some point, as I want to have scriptable overlays be a thing.
  2. I'm not sure what you're asking here vs #3?
  3. GBC is generally superior, but doing both isn't possible without doing terrible hacks, and I'm not inclined to do those terrible hacks, sorry.
  4. This might already be possible. I'd need to check. It might just be broken though.

I swear I moved the GB model to GBC, perhaps I did something wrong back then.
I got it working now, and the palette and sprites in Kirby's Dream Land look okay from the little bit I played it Tongue
Thanks, endrift!

(10-12-2017, 03:46 PM)endrift Wrote: All you have to do is boot it as a GBC game (it's in settings) while using the GBC bootrom.

That said I have been working on integrating those palettes into mGBA so you don't need the bootrom.

(10-12-2017, 11:29 AM)lordelan Wrote: So a few questions @endrift:
  1. Can you apply a Super Gameboy border (at least as an option) to all games including those without SGB support, showing the simple SGB general border as you can see it here?
  2. For games supporting both, GBC and SGB (like Dragon Quest Monsters), would it be possible to show it's specific SGB border?

3. To be honest I don't know whether games that support both have the same color palette on both (GBC and SGB) or which is superior, but if the GBC is superior could you enable it while having the SGB border around it at the same time?
  4. Last but most important question, not only to me but ShadowOne333 as well: Can this be done to the Libretro core of mGBA using RetroArch as well?
    If so, how and when? Smile
Thanks for all your great work man!

1. That's not a planned feature, sorry. Although I may do overlays at some point, as I want to have scriptable overlays be a thing.
  2. I'm not sure what you're asking here vs #3?
  3. GBC is generally superior, but doing both isn't possible without doing terrible hacks, and I'm not inclined to do those terrible hacks, sorry.
  4. This might already be possible. I'd need to check. It might just be broken though.

1. You're right at 2. -> 2. and 3. was almost the same question, sorry about that. However: If you do overlays, all problems would be solved. We could search the internet for SGB borders for every rom while mGBA plays them in color (either by a simple color sheme for GB games or their real colors for GBC games). Overlays should be named as the roms then I guess. So if I have a Dragon Quest Monsters.png where the middle is alpha (so the game screen can be displayed there) and I have a rom called Dragon Quest Monsters.gbc it should be loaded automatically. You would only have to think about the scaling.
  2. see 1.
  3. see 1.
  4. Whatever you do, I'd appreciate it very much if the Libretro core gets that as well as I'm a huge RetroArch fan and user. Smile