Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance issues in Pokemon games
Seems like mGBA can't run Pokemon games at 60fps. Pokemon Emerald, for instance, definitely runs below 60fps, unlike other GBA emulators. Setting audio buffer to 512 improves a bit, but still doesn't reach 60fps.

Increase the buffer size, don't decrease. What OS are you using? mGBA is extremely fast so you must have configured something wrong. For example, don't have both sync to video and sync to audio enabled.

(01-04-2017, 10:18 PM)endrift Wrote: Increase the buffer size, don't decrease. What OS are you using? mGBA is extremely fast so you must have configured something wrong. For example, don't have both sync to video and sync to audio enabled.

Increasing the buffer to 4096 made it even worse. Tried fiddling around with both sync options but they made no difference, and even deleted the config files to reset all settings.  I'm on Windows 10 and my specs are: i7 4770k, 16GB@2400MHz RAM and GTX 1070.

Do you have a 120/144Hz monitor? I got a report from someone on Reddit that this can happen unless you turn down the refresh rate to 60Hz

(01-19-2017, 04:28 AM)endrift Wrote: Do you have a 120/144Hz monitor? I got a report from someone on Reddit that this can happen unless you turn down the refresh rate to 60Hz

I do, and it's perfect now. Any idea why? I don't mind turning it down everytime I use mGBA, but would be nice if this got fixed.

I have a vague idea, but I'd imagine it would only cause visual stuttering. It'll be quite difficult to debug without a high framerate monitor though Sad

(01-19-2017, 03:09 PM)endrift Wrote: I have a vague idea, but I'd imagine it would only cause visual stuttering. It'll be quite difficult to debug without a high framerate monitor though Sad

I don't mind testing any changes you make. Maybe frameskip gets toggled on a refresh rate higher than 60Hz? Definitely not a slowdown.

I have an idea for how to possibly fix it, I can try and send you a build later.

Can you try this build and tell me if it improves things at all, or makes them worse? http://endrift.com/files/mGBA-hfr-test.7z

It might work differently between 120Hz and 144Hz, and the latter may cause (visual) frame drops. I don't know.

(01-20-2017, 09:29 PM)endrift Wrote: Can you try this build and tell me if it improves things at all, or makes them worse? http://endrift.com/files/mGBA-hfr-test.7z

It might work differently between 120Hz and 144Hz, and the latter may cause (visual) frame drops. I don't know.

Flawless performance at both 120Hz and 144Hz, no visual glitches whatsoever. I only tested at Littleroot Town in Pokemon Emerald and Pallet Town in Pokemon Fire Red, but everything seems fine. I'd say it's safe to merge. What was the problem/missing? Thanks a lot!