Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wii Save File Strange Behavior
Hey! mGBA was a real life-saver, it's given me a solid 60fps on my Wii. However, I'm having some trouble with .sav file behavior. I have an Advance Wars 2 rom and save file I ripped myself using my DS Lite, and while they load perfectly in mGBA on the Wii, it seems that the .sav file is only randomly actually written to. I'll save a campaign ingame, exit to the menu and immediately reload the campaign, but the save did not "take" and I load a game from hours ago. However, if I save over and over again, that sometimes seems to work, oddly enough.

It might be worth noting that this particular .sav file has been loaded and written to by various versions of VBA on Windows, and I haven't experimented with fresh .sav files yet.

I was using the "mGBA-nightly-2016-10-03-wii-0a791a2f7d20ba53f0b66afb671581805334c463.7z" version and just switched to 0.5.1

Using save states works perfectly.

It's awesome that mGBA is being actively developed, I really needed a good Wii GBA emulator, keep it up!

I did some testing around, and I think I found the problem. In the same directory, I had a save file "AdvanceWars2.sav" and "AdvanceWars2.sav_bak". On a hunch I removed the _bak version and everything seems to be working consistently now, but I'll report back here if I have more problems.

(10-09-2016, 01:14 AM)MSB3000 Wrote: I did some testing around, and I think I found the problem. In the same directory, I had a save file "AdvanceWars2.sav" and "AdvanceWars2.sav_bak". On a hunch I removed the _bak version and everything seems to be working consistently now, but I'll report back here if I have more problems.

Exact same problem for me. Saves are not alway working. I checked the directory and don't have the _bak file so I can't try or use your solution. Is there another solution possible that someone has experienced?

I'm using the same nightly, using it on the Wii, same situation. 

This is probably the same bug as the save bug in the Vita version, which I've not had good luck tracking down. I'll try again before I release 0.5.2 though.