Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REQ: Dot Matrix Shader
Hello,

I've been searching the net for a shader that simulates the dot matrix effect, but to no avail. I believe it's some kind of CRT shader.

In Pete's OpenGL2 plugin for ePSXe, this effect is also present (Click image to get a closer view):

[Image: 7i25PK2.png]

Does a shader that creates this effect exist for mGBA?

Kind regards,
MotM

This shader simulates the phosphor grid on a delta shadow mask (?) CRT, specifically. I haven't made many shaders myself due to a total lack of interest in the feature, but I was hoping other people would take up the helm and develop shaders. However, I seem to have work I need to do on getting it to a state that people are happy with.

(09-23-2016, 05:47 PM)endrift Wrote: This shader simulates the phosphor grid on a delta shadow mask (?) CRT, specifically. I haven't made many shaders myself due to a total lack of interest in the feature, but I was hoping other people would take up the helm and develop shaders. However, I seem to have work I need to do on getting it to a state that people are happy with.

From my understanding, most people prefer a clear image without dots or pixelated gfx on their screen. I think it looks great on 2D/Low Res games running on high resolution.

Most shaders that are around give textures/sprites/everything a 'wax' look. It's a shame, because it removes so much detail and feels unnatural.

Unfortunately, I don't have any basic programming skill or I would've made shaders according to personal taste. If there were a shader to come that simulates the above effect, that would be a life changer totally.

EDIT: I also think that, the way dot matrix shaders are promoted, could be the reason why it's not popular. When in-game screenshots are taken of phosphor shaders and resized, the effect will look worse. But will look good when you view it maximized, or actually use it. The above screenshot in the first post looks bad, but looks great ingame. Clicking on the image above will take you to the maximized image, clearer and as it should be.