Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can mgba do this specific probably overly complicated thing?
i came to this forum as i discovered mgba may possibly be what i seek, although like other emulators/ programs it may not be but its worth asking as it seems interesting even if not possible for my purpose.

i have something specific i wish to do which requires me to connect a real gba to mgba (on a wii), use cheat codes on something, and send it back to the real gba.

more elaboratly, i wish to use mgba with a real gba (with and without sonic advance games) and the two sonic adventure gamecube games for the purpose of moving/ getting special chao pets with codes/ or through raising them on the chao garden in the gba games. if that makes sense.

i wish to know if this is possible, so far no emulators/programs have this ability (plus gbas tend not to connect to pc emulators, and wii based ones are not well used any more), i have a working gamecube capable wii, a real gba, and the gnc-gba cable but as i dont have the sonic advance games, nor a cheat device for gba any longer, it is far harder for me to work with and having the ability to transfer chao through the gcn to my real gba and then to the mgba for temporary purposes, and then back again would be very helpful but i dont know if this is possible or if it could be set up by someone somehow.

(12-11-2017, 03:49 AM)Flamesofshadow Wrote: i came to this forum as i discovered mgba may possibly be what i seek, although like other emulators/ programs it may not be but its worth asking as it seems interesting even if not possible for my purpose.

i have something specific i wish to do which requires me to connect a real gba to mgba (on a wii), use cheat codes on something, and send it back to the real gba.

more elaboratly, i wish to use mgba with a real gba (with and without sonic advance games) and the two sonic adventure gamecube games for the purpose of moving/ getting special chao pets with codes/ or through raising them on the chao garden in the gba games. if that makes sense.

i wish to know if this is possible, so far no emulators/programs have this ability (plus gbas tend not to connect to pc emulators, and wii based ones are not well used any more), i have a working gamecube capable wii, a real gba, and the gnc-gba cable but as i dont have the sonic advance games, nor a cheat device for gba any longer, it is far harder for me to work with and having the ability to transfer chao through the gcn to my real gba and then to the mgba for temporary purposes, and then back again would be very helpful but i dont know if this is possible or if it could be set up by someone somehow.

I'm sorry Flamesofshadow, but I don't think this is possible, as we don't even have support for the GameCube to GBA adaptor for basic controls let alone the transferring of data. I'm not even sure that it's even possible in theory as the adaptor's sole purpose is to communicate inputs from the GBA to the console. There are a few games that use the adaptor for more purposes (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Pokémon Box Ruby and Sapphire, etc.) but I don't think the Sonic Advance games can work this way with the adaptor. They were designed to work with the link cable from one system directly connected to another. It comes down to the hardware of the adaptor, not necessarily the compatibility of the software or coding of mGBA.

Reference:
https://forums.mgba.io/showthread.php?tid=3915

In theory the software could emulate the connectivity or linking feature of a real GBA, but you would have to create hardware modded and specifically designed to interact with said software. There are people who have modded the Game Boy Player physically to accomplish more when using their modded GameCube software to take advantage of GBA features otherwise not found in the Game Boy Player, but that's running on real hardware and mGBA is an emulator, so it's a completely different ball game.

Ah, i kind of expected that was the case, i had heard of programs like gba-m which had the ability to connect to dolphin, and i had found mgba on a different list (may not be mentionable as it was on wii) and it seemed relatively useful which it still is/would be but i expected it wouldn't work as i though it possibly could things rarely work that way, i mainly was planning to use it to get some specific stuff in the adventure games because i couldn't get them doing what i specifically needed with my regular gba (didnt have any AR type stuff or fancy pc-gba cables or anything) but luckily i manage to find another way to accomplish my goal which was nice. mgba does seem from what i know of it to be a pretty good program.