Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wii port audio crackling
Since the port thread has been increasing in no. of posts and my questions seemingly ignored, for some reason, I will ask here instead; this way, I won't clog up that other thread, so as of the most recently nightly build of the Wii port, audio crackling is present still, however, the RetroArch Wii port fares better in the audio department, but ultimately breaks support for 32 MB ROMs for unknown reason. On the other hand, the standalone version runs all GBA game sizes, even the large ones, but what I want to know is, will there ever be the same audio improvements from the Libretro core carried over to the standalone Wii port? I am grateful for this emulator, it's the best the Wii has ever seen, I personally don't like how RetroArch has evolved with 1.2.2 being broken beyond all recognition on the Wii, hence my preference to the simpler port, I merely hope the few minor issues can be resolved in due time. Big Grin

I thought I'd taken care of, at least most of, the crackling? The difference between the RA and the standalone ports are pretty substantial though. The way audio is handled is completely different. Libretro does its own thing with audio that's opaque to me, and it's renowned for its good sync. The standalone version just tries to guess, and I guess is wrong. Are you on a PAL TV? I've only been testing with NTSC.

(09-04-2015, 06:44 AM)endrift Wrote: I thought I'd taken care of, at least most of, the crackling? The difference between the RA and the standalone ports are pretty substantial though. The way audio is handled is completely different. Libretro does its own thing with audio that's opaque to me, and it's renowned for its good sync. The standalone version just tries to guess, and I guess is wrong. Are you on a PAL TV? I've only been testing with NTSC.

NTSC, I live in the US, a member by the name of Zerofalcon on GBA Temp reports that games like Golden Sun 1 and 2 still stutter in-battle when enemies or allies attack, the game audio slows down, as does the framerate. Maybe I didn't test it enough, and if not, my apologies, don't get me wrong though, you and your team have done excellent work and i do apologize sincerely for asking so  much about it, I wasn't 100% sure. The other issue is for some reason, the RA core of this emulator struggles with 32 MB ROMs, as in, they don't load on RetroArch and he can't figure out why. Sorry I'm all over the place, I would compile my own builds, but there's no compilation guide for Windows users, at least, none that I can locate, when you say the audio crackling has been fixed, is this in beta 3 or in an upcoming release? Thank you once again  Big Grin

I doubt it's wrong, and love to try the latest nightly builds to help provide feedback, sadly, I've no means to test out bleeding edge builds since I'm not on Linux to compile them.
This seems to be the latest night build, I just have no means of compiling, is this the most recent one with audio changes? https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgba/mGBA-night...8ff5fdb.7z

Edit: I believe he ran them on Beta 3 and RA ran them perfectly, Golden Sun that is. Ugh, curse my inability to compile this.

That one had most of the audio changes in it, yes. There's an upcoming one that will have one more, but I explicitly tested Golden Sun 2 on that build and got no major crackling except during battles, in which there was definite slowdown during attack animations. I'll try to write up a guide for compiling the ports on Windows, but I don't have any of the stuff set up myself. There is a guide for compiling the main project on Windows (in the README), but it's only partially applicable to the ports.

(09-04-2015, 07:35 AM)endrift Wrote: That one had most of the audio changes in it, yes. There's an upcoming one that will have one more, but I explicitly tested Golden Sun 2 on that build and got no major crackling except during battles, in which there was definite slowdown during attack animations. I'll try to write up a guide for compiling the ports on Windows, but I don't have any of the stuff set up myself. There is a guide for compiling the main project on Windows (in the README), but it's only partially applicable to the ports.

That's certainly fair enough, and I do apologize once more if I came across as impatient, overly anxious, etc, that wasn't my intent at all, as I am very grateful for all your and your team's hard work. And I look forward to the upcoming release, and take your time on the compiling guide, there's no big rush, keep it up  Smile