Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request: save as Animated PNG?
(02-08-2020, 09:45 PM)endrift Wrote: The best lossless compression I've found is with H.264 in lossless mode.
Technically the best would be x265 in lossless mode, but I don't think anybody in the FOSS world should be touching that absolute mess of licensing and patents. Tongue (and I don't think AV1 encoders incorporate a lossless mode yet)

Regardless, the idea wasn't so much reducing the file size to the smallest possible but to have things still in an image format for convenient internet-posting use without the quality reduction associated with GIF or lossless 4:2:0 chroma subsampled video codecs since browsers can display APNG files as-is, especially since browsers can't decode lossless x264 (at least from my testing that is).

(02-08-2020, 09:45 PM)endrift Wrote: I used to have it store a series of PNGs in a matroska file but it was much bigger and not well supported. I can see if FFmpeg supports APNG too, but I suspect it'll have similar issues.
Animated PNG doesn't use a video container though but rather is a straight-up modification of the PNG format and is in fact decoded via a modified libpng or the like which is also how it's able to fall-back to just displaying the first frame if opened in software that only supports non-animated PNG.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feature request: save as Animated PNG? - by Rin Tohsaka - 02-09-2020, 08:16 PM