Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unofficial wii build -test-
Hello to all mgba users,

This test build is for wii platform, I've added a few and new options from command line.
Also, I added endrift's fix for audio crackling.

New to this emulator too:
-Set aspect ratio to 3:2 on 4:3 video, looks like a GBA Player on old CRT TV -yeah I get one.
-Load 32 MB roms on memory.

These new options are from arguments:
-Auto load game
-Send custom button for A,B,L,R in Classic Controller
-Set filter mode to: Unfilter, Filter, Filter Sharp and Filter Soft

So you need a Front end to use it, like Wiiflow or from meta.xml file something like this:
Code:
<arguments>
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>sd:/roms/My rom.gba</arg>
<arg>-r</arg>
<arg>2</arg>
<arg>-reduceScale</arg>
<arg>75</arg>
</arguments>

Or wiiflow:
Code:
arguments=-rom|{device}:/{path}/{name}|-r|4|-useCustomInput|-button_A|B|-button_B|Y

You can find binary dol file here: https://mega.nz/#!ycA2VAQJ!3NiImhbk0F5bv...5a2kZ5gi54

(09-03-2015, 11:34 PM)askot Wrote: You can find binary dol file here: https://github.com/askotx/mgba/blob/port...t/mgba.dol

404 error on the link

(09-19-2015, 08:09 PM)sindrik Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 11:34 PM)askot Wrote: You can find binary dol file here: https://github.com/askotx/mgba/blob/port...t/mgba.dol

404 error on the link

I removed binary from github, you can find new one here:

https://mega.nz/#!ycA2VAQJ!3NiImhbk0F5bv...5a2kZ5gi54

I also removed force video mode, but now it has scale reduction.

arguments=-rom|{device}:/{path}/{name}|-r|4|-reduceScale|75|-useCustomInput|-button_A|B|-button_B|Y

Render (filtering) modes are these:
-0, default
-2, unfiltered
-3, sharp
-4, soft

I will rework on this option.

(09-19-2015, 08:48 PM)askot Wrote: I removed binary from github, you can find new one here:

https://mega.nz/#!ycA2VAQJ!3NiImhbk0F5bv...5a2kZ5gi54

I also removed force video mode, but now it has scale reduction.

arguments=-rom|{device}:/{path}/{name}|-r|4|-reduceScale|75|-useCustomInput|-button_A|B|-button_B|Y

Render (filtering) modes are these:
-0, default
-2, unfiltered
-3, sharp
-4, soft

I will rework on this option.

So we can basically change the meta.xml file from the original mGBA and add the arguments:

Code:
<arguments>
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>sd:/roms/My rom.gba</arg>
<arg>-r</arg>
<arg>2</arg>
<arg>-reduceScale</arg>
<arg>75</arg>
</arguments>

I would just like if you could explain how to add/edit each of the arguments, since I still don't know how to change most of them, only filter so far. For example, what does the -rom argument do?
What about -r and 75? And how can we add the button mapping argument?

I am going for the original mGBA aspect ratio (which occupies the whole screen), and the button B as GBA A and X as GBA B for comfort.

Have you tried to contact endrift to see if she can add the filter, scaling and button mapping to the official repo?
I know the latest builds have included options for frameskip in a menu, so perhaps she could add them easily to the official nightly.

Thanks in advance!

ShadowOne333 Wrote:I would just like if you could explain how to add/edit each of the arguments, since I still don't know how to change most of them, only filter so far. For example, what does the -rom argument do?

You must write something like a "key" -> "value", in this case, this mean: send a rom path before anything else, it'll be loaded before starting GUI, example
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>SD/USB:path/to/your/game.gba</a>

ShadowOne333 Wrote:What about -r and 75?

These two are: one for filter (-r) [render]  and the other one, I think you must refer to -reduceScale, this last, if you want to set percent of screen to use, ie, if you want to display 85% of your TV's screen, you must set
<arg>-reduceScale</arg>
<arg>85</arg>

ShadowOne333 Wrote:And how can we add the button mapping argument?

My kids get totally lost when trying to play a basic Mario game, so I added a basic input remaping option before starting GUI, so they feel better with just pushing Y (GBA B) and B (GBA A), instead of A & B or X & A, so here's an example

<arg>-button_A</a>
<arg>B</arg>
<arg>-button_B</arg>
<arg>Y</arg>
<arg>-button_L</a>
<arg>X</a>
<arg>-button_R</a>
<arg>A</a>

ShadowOne333 Wrote:Have you tried to contact endrift to see if she can add the filter, scaling and button mapping to the official repo?
I know the latest builds have included options for frameskip in a menu, so perhaps she could add them easily to the official nightly.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I've contacted endrift, before posting this build test asking for posting this thread and ¿he/she? -sure?- told me that I can post my version and he/she would like to add my changes to main branch, but I need push them to github. No easy task for me, I need to learn a little more about GBAArguments and send them to GBAContext, also, before merging I need to compile and test this new options, I don't know how to compile with CMake, I just do it to the oldway: Makefile with devkitpro in Windows

(09-22-2015, 04:48 PM)askot Wrote: You must write something like a "key" -> "value", in this case, this mean: send a rom path before anything else, it'll be loaded before starting GUI, example
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>SD/USB:path/to/your/game.gba</a>

These two are: one for filter (-r) [render]  and the other one, I think you must refer to -reduceScale, this last, if you want to set percent of screen to use, ie, if you want to display 85% of your TV's screen, you must set
<arg>-reduceScale</arg>
<arg>85</arg>

My kids get totally lost when trying to play a basic Mario game, so I added a basic input remaping option before starting GUI, so they feel better with just pushing Y (GBA B) and B (GBA A), instead of A & B or X & A, so here's an example

<arg>-button_A</a>
<arg>B</arg>
<arg>-button_B</arg>
<arg>Y</arg>
<arg>-button_L</a>
<arg>X</a>
<arg>-button_R</a>
<arg>A</a>

Yes, I've contacted endrift, before posting this build test asking for posting this thread and ¿he/she? -sure?- told me that I can post my version and he/she would like to add my changes to main branch, but I need push them to github. No easy task for me, I need to learn a little more about GBAArguments and send them to GBAContext, also, before merging I need to compile and test this new options, I don't know how to compile with CMake, I just do it to the oldway: Makefile with devkitpro in Windows

Many thanks for the explanations!
This will surely come in handy, since the only two things I felt mGBA were lacking for me to play it without issues were button mapping and unfiltered/other filter options (since I have astigmatism and myopia, so the blur of the natural filter hurts my eyes a tad bit).

So let's see if I got it right:

Code:
<arguments>
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>sd:/vbagx/roms/GBA/</arg>
<arg>-r</arg>
<arg>2</arg>
<arg>-button_A</a>
<arg>B</arg>
<arg>-button_B</arg>
<arg>Y</arg>
<arg>-button_L</a>
<arg>L</a>
<arg>-button_R</a>
<arg>R</a>
</arguments>
I won't use the reduceScale argument since the default one looks rather nice in my TV.
Although I think reduceScale -> 100 would do the same, right?

I just have another question regarding the -rom argument.
Do I have to specify the exact ROM (.gba) to be loaded or can I simply specify the folder that I want the app to open up by default instead of the root of the SD?

That's pretty much it. Smile
Thank you so much for your replies!

(09-22-2015, 05:24 PM)ShadowOne333 Wrote:
Code:
<arguments>
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>-r</arg>
<arg>2</arg>
<arg>-button_A</a>
<arg>B</arg>
<arg>-button_B</arg>
<arg>Y</arg>
<arg>-button_L</a>
<arg>L</a>
<arg>-button_R</a>
<arg>R</a>
</arguments>

Although I think reduceScale -> 100 would do the same, right?

Yes, It would do, also you can skip:

<arg>-button_L</a>
<arg>L</a>
<arg>-button_R</a>
<arg>R</a>

If you skip a value, mgba will take default ones.

(09-22-2015, 05:24 PM)ShadowOne333 Wrote: I just have another question regarding the -rom argument.

Do I have to specify the exact ROM (.gba) to be loaded or can I simply specify the folder that I want the app to open up by default instead of the root of the SD?

You have to specify a game path -rom-, not path to a folder game, this option it's for auto booting a game directly from front end like wiiflow, postloader or meta.xml file

I seem to be doing something wrong for the arguments.

I downloaded your build and edited the meta.xml file that comes with the official mGBA.

I added this code:

Code:
<arguments>
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>-r</arg>
<arg>2</arg>
<arg>-button_A</a>
<arg>B</arg>
<arg>-button_B</arg>
<arg>Y</arg>
</arguments>
Right before the </app>, but when I try to launch the app fro mthe Homebrew Channel it closes itself and send me back to the HBC.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I wanted to ask if you are updating this Unofficial build with each nightly, or if its outdated for sometime now.

(09-28-2015, 08:40 PM)ShadowOne333 Wrote: I seem to be doing something wrong for the arguments.

I downloaded your build and edited the meta.xml file that comes with the official mGBA.

I added this code:

Code:
<arguments>
<arg>-rom</arg>
<arg>-r</arg>
<arg>2</arg>
<arg>-button_A</a>
<arg>B</arg>
<arg>-button_B</arg>
<arg>Y</arg>
</arguments>
Right before the </app>, but when I try to launch the app fro mthe Homebrew Channel it closes itself and send me back to the HBC.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I wanted to ask if you are updating this Unofficial build with each nightly, or if its outdated for sometime now.

This is line is wrong: <arg>sd:/vbagx/roms/GBA/</arg> must be something like <arg>sd:/vbagx/roms/GBA/Super Mario.gba</arg> it's for autobooting a game not start directly on game folder.

About build, it's core code is almost updated to main stream, not GUI -user interface-. Until you, anyone else has showed up interest on this build, even I made a thread on gbatemp with this dol file along with other custom build of retroarch and nobody cares, so for this reason, I don't keep updating so frequently, but I add main changes/fixes from endrift to my "wii command line" version.

Can you tell me exactly what files/lines did you modify/add?
I can make the Pull request for GitHub so that your changes could be implemented in the official build, if you want me to.