Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Official mGBA Ports
Has there been a solution to the audio crackling on the Wii port? A use on GBA Temp stated the audio buffer size was one of the factors, if not the major factor, and adjusting it could remove it completely.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that I attempt to play back the audio at the wrong time. I have an idea for how to fix this, but I haven't gotten around to it, since I've been too busy working on fixing the 3DS crash. For what it's worth, I don't seem to get crackling on the latest Wii nightly, but maybe I wasn't listening hard enough.

endrift, do you plan to use the upper screen in the 3ds in the future?

Yes, I will make it possible to swap which screen things are on. I will probably also make it possible to use the menu on the bottom screen at the same time (with touch) if the emulator is running on the top screen. Eventually.

Good luck to you on all that! It's amazing how well it runs already, on N3DS anyway, can't wait to see future progress.

Another note, customizing buttons inputs I hope is on that list of future features. Right now the 3DS's A and B buttons are used for their respective GBA inputs, while the optimal would be using the B and Y buttons, due to those being where the thumb naturally rests on the button layout and being much more intuitive to press.

(09-02-2015, 12:28 AM)endrift Wrote: I'm pretty sure the problem is that I attempt to play back the audio at the wrong time. I have an idea for how to fix this, but I haven't gotten around to it, since I've been too busy working on fixing the 3DS crash. For what it's worth, I don't seem to get crackling on the latest Wii nightly, but maybe I wasn't listening hard enough.

I noticed this commit here https://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/commit/...9fd150fc42 which seems to indicate that the audio has been resolved, will test it once compiled. Anyways, I  have pretty sensitive hearing, which is both a blessing and a curse; the reason being is on the previous nightly builds, the audio crackling was easy for me to pick up, games like Golden Sun 1 and 2, esp during battle attacks, the audio slows down, but once done, battles run full speed. Final Fantasy IV, V and VI also had it (VI being the easier one to notice). if only I had a way to capture audio from my Wii, I could do more testing and samples, that being said, keep up the hard work  Big Grin I suspect it was related to the audio buffer size more so than the actual sample frequency of 48 kHz, but I'm likely wrong  Tongue

Hi! First of all, thank you for the amazing work you're doing.

I would like to help you, but I'm not proficent enough in programming; so I was wondering what would be the best way to contribute to the project (more specifically, the 3DS port)?

I would gladly run tests, or test different games. I have experienced some crashes on New 3DS that * I think * I can reproduce; but is there anything more specific that you would need to test? How should I report what I found?

PS: Sorry for my english.

Hi endrift, any chance you would consider a WiiU port?
Thank you.

(09-03-2015, 01:38 AM)Patch Wrote: Hi endrift, any chance you would consider a WiiU port?
Thank you.

How would that work, I don't think there's even homebrew on the Wii U yet.

A Wii U port would also be pointless if the Wii port turns out good too, since you can do Wii homebrew on the Wii U's Wii mode.

I'd personally think the 3DS port deserves the most attention.

(09-03-2015, 02:52 AM)powermad80 Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 01:38 AM)Patch Wrote: Hi endrift, any chance you would consider a WiiU port?
Thank you.

How would that work, I don't think there's even homebrew on the Wii U yet.

A Wii U port would also be pointless if the Wii port turns out good too, since you can do Wii homebrew on the Wii U's Wii mode.

I'd personally think the 3DS port deserves the most attention.
The WiiU is hacked enough to play Emulators. Plus the WiiU controller would give it a semi-portable feel Smile