mGBA Forums
How to Remove Default Background - Printable Version

+- mGBA Forums (https://forums.mgba.io)
+-- Forum: mGBA (https://forums.mgba.io/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://forums.mgba.io/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: How to Remove Default Background (/showthread.php?tid=3200)

How to Remove Default Background - kenoi - 07-04-2017

Hi, I've recently switched my GB games library from VBA-M to mGBA (QT). So far so good, although I did run into a few ROMs that now display fuzz instead of playing proper. I will experiment some more with that, and let you know the results.

My first question has to do with the UI and it's much simpler: is there any way to remove the big icon background in mGBA that appears while no ROMs are loaded and just have a clean, black background instead? I'm used to that look with VBA, and it would look much-much neater on my desktop.

I imagine there is a way.

I think it would be wise to include an optional launch parameter to hide it, or an option in the settings.

Thanks,
K

And thanks for working on improving the GBA emulation scene. ^_^  Heart

RE: How to Remove Default Background - endrift - 07-04-2017

There is no option for it, although in mGBA 0.6 you can display a library view instead.

RE: How to Remove Default Background - kenoi - 07-04-2017

(07-04-2017, 04:27 PM)endrift Wrote: There is no option for it, although in mGBA 0.6 you can display a library view instead.

Hmm... Undecided Is there a hack way to disable it? Where is the image stored? Maybe I can overwrite it with a blank image.

That library view sounds interesting. Unfortunately, Debian still packs version 0.5.2 in the official repos.

RE: How to Remove Default Background - kenoi - 07-05-2017

Can I remove the background image by custom building the application? Where is the implementation located in the source? (Thanks.)

RE: How to Remove Default Background - endrift - 07-06-2017

Yeah, just change the initialization of m_logo in QGBA::Window to something else.

RE: How to Remove Default Background - kenoi - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 02:20 AM)endrift Wrote: Yeah, just change the initialization of m_logo in QGBA::Window to something else.

Thank you!!! ^_^

Regarding the earlier "fuzz" I've mentioned, I've gotten through most of my ROMs, and they all work wonderfully with the exception of two. Do you want me to email/upload them for you? One is Battle City, a Japanese release cartridge, and the other is the US release of Quarth. Battle City gets a distorted (fuzz) visual output, while Quarth has a game mechanic problem of getting stuck at the first level immediately after it begins (the music continues). Both ROMs worked fine with VBA(-M).

RE: How to Remove Default Background - endrift - 07-06-2017

If you're compiling it yourself, can you check if this still occurs in mGBA 0.6 beta 1? A lot changed in the meantime.

Also, please do not upload them. Posting ROMs is illegal and is not allowed here.

RE: How to Remove Default Background - kenoi - 07-07-2017

(07-06-2017, 04:59 PM)endrift Wrote: If you're compiling it yourself, can you check if this still occurs in mGBA 0.6 beta 1? A lot changed in the meantime.

Alright, will do and let you know when I get around to it. ^_^

(07-06-2017, 04:59 PM)endrift Wrote: Also, please do not upload them. Posting ROMs is illegal and is not allowed here.

I meant sharing them privately, of course, for testing/debugging purposes. That's fair use.

But if that's against community rules here, that's fine, no worries. We'll find another way to communicate the output results. Perhaps with screenshots of the bugs in question.