mGBA Forums

Full Version: [Wii] How to stretch to fullscreen with 3:2 Aspect Ratio / Transfer saves from VBAGX?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just started using mGBA on my homebrewed Wii, and while I'm very happy with how smooth it runs games, I'm kinda bothered that I can't get it to display in the correct aspect ratio. It's too wide in 16:9 mode, and too skinny in 4:3 mode. I also want it to fill as much of the screen as possible, so I don't like Pixel Perfect mode.

I've tried adding "stretchWidth=.9stretchHeight=1.0" after [ports.Wii] in my config file like other have suggested, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, Is it possible to transfer saves from the Wii version of VBAGX to mGBA for Wii?
Try making the w in Wii lowercase, and make sure you have a newline between the two settings
(04-06-2017, 01:23 AM)endrift Wrote: [ -> ]Try making the w in Wii lowercase, and make sure you have a newline between the two settings

Just wondering, is the config.ini supposed to look like a wall of text like mine does? Because "new line" makes it sound like it's supposed to be neat rows.
Also, should stretchWidth be "0.9", or just ".9"?
Finally got it. Setting Height to 0.95 and Width to 0.85 with my TV set to Full Widescreen gets me within .1% of the GBA's 3:2 and almost completely fills the screen (I like to reduce the display size just a tiny bit to make sure nothing gets cut off.)

I actually manually measured my screen, which came out to about 17.5 X 11.65 inches. A perfect 3:2 aspect ratio would come out to 17.475 X 11.65 inches, so this gets me as close as I probably will ever get until mGBA gets an option to do a 3x upscale to 480p.

So anyway, before I discovered mGBA I used VBAGX, so I was wondering if there was a way to transfer my saves over?
you should be able to just use the same saves. I don't know what directory VBAGX puts them in, but just put them in the same directory as the ROMs.
(04-06-2017, 04:52 PM)endrift Wrote: [ -> ]you should be able to just use the same saves. I don't know what directory VBAGX puts them in, but just put them in the same directory as the ROMs.

VBAGX puts them inside SD:/vbagx/saves/ by default.
It's just a matter of copying the saves in that folder to whatever the save folder is for mGBA.
I just copied them from the /saves folder to /roms folder, and now they work. I can continue my playthrough of Emerald in 60 FPS now!

Although I did run into one problem: in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga the game crashes to a black screen and a horrible screeching noise after the file select screen. Is this an issue with the emulator in general or am I the only one having this problem?
My european copy works (I'm seeing it running as I type, watching the intro of the game and fighting Bowser).

Did you try another dump? Or maybe it's a problem with the NTSC-US version.